Friday, March 16, 2007

Easter on-the-way

Writing about how much the presence of friends and neighbors added to our celebration on Wednesday, I was reminded of one of my favorite Pater Tom (Merton) quotes, from Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander:

"If I affirm myself as Catholic merely by denying all that is Muslim, Jewish, Protestant, Hindu, Buddhist, etc., in the end I will find that there is not much left for me to affirm as a Catholic: and certainly no breath of the Spirit with which to affirm it."

Along with the late Fr. Jacques DuPuis, SJ, I take the "you will know them by their fruits" approach. Why? Because over and above Fr. DuPuis, these are the words of our Lord himself.

Rejoicing, we now return to our regularly scheduled liturgical season. It bears noting that we are more than half-way to Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...