Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Highly edited semi-scientific post-script

Yesterday, Joe C., in a comment, brought up the Freedom of Choice Act. Fr. Joseph Komonchak, writing over on dotCommonweal, provides a valuable service in his post FOCA.

On an couple of unrelated notes, over on Vivre l' Evangile, our parish RCIA blog, I also posted today Being religious vs. religulous. I do want to see Bill Maher's film Religulous. On that score, listen to today's Fresh Air with Terry Gross. She interviews Maher and the movie's director, who also directed Borat, Larry Charles. Terry Gross drew my attention to a youtube clip in which Sarah Palin is recorded participating in a religious practice that is troubling to say the least. To see the clip, click here. Lest you think Maher too partisan, listen to the audio clip from his film in which he is talking to Democratic senator David Pryor of Arkansas that you hear at the beginning of the Fresh Air interview. Fr. Reginald Foster, Vatican latinist, does not come off too well. According Maher and Charles, Fr. Foster does not believe "the Jesus story". Perhaps over forty years as Vatican latinist will rob you of your faith. Look, you probably get tired of reminding people that appartus, when used as a noun, is of the fourth declension. Hence, in the nominative case, two or more apparatus do not become apparati. I look forward to a cinematic event soon.

Like Alex of Vitus Speaks and and Deacon Greg of The Deacon's Bench, I am also a long-time fan of P.J. O'Rourke. I disagree with him a good deal of the time because he's much too Libertarian for me, like William F. Buckely. Like Buckley, who died this year, I find him smart. More than that he is tremendously funny, even though Tony Hendra, who I also admire a great deal, apparently does not like him much. I am especially fond of his book Age and Guile Beat Youth, Innocence, and a Bad Haircut. I remember reading excerpts from this book out loud while my wife was in labor with our second child. I am not sure she liked it as much as the attending doctor (her OB) and I. I also loved his Rolling Stone pieces on politics, the economy, and foreign affairs. Anyway, he has an article in the L.A. Times worth reading. A diaconal bow to Alex and Dcn Greg. Plus, I can relate when he writes, "I'm not promising that the pope will back me up about all of the above. But it's the best I can do by my poor lights about the subject of mortality and free will."

Miscellani o' rama- from a commencement address DFW did at Kenyon College, Paul Newman's alma mater, that I lifted from a tribute posted by one Namir Y over on McSweeney's:
"But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell-type situation as not only meaningful but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down."
Oh, and just to go on record: I am not missing the X96 Mavrick Big Ass Show next year, especially for something as counterproductive as my preaching! Once again dear readers, I look to you to hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...