Friday, August 6, 2010

"The innocence slips away..."



I went to see Rush on their Time Machine tour last night. I can honestly report that Geddy, Neil, and Alex have still got it. I took my 16 year-old son, who is getting to be more than merely a decent guitarist himself. Tim was excited, but not overly so, prior to the concert. When we pulled into the parking lot of Usana Amphitheater and he saw all the cars and people, he was a little amazed. After the show, he was convinced. All I can say is that if the Time Machine tour comes to your city, or one near you, GO!

Our Friday traditio, in keeping with the '80s is Time Stands Still, from Rush's 1987 album, Hold Your Fire:
"Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up -- old friends growing colder
Experience slips away..."


As I have mentioned before, the very first rock concert I ever attended was Rush on their signals tour some 27 years ago. I remember what an amazing experience that was for me at seventeen. I have seen Rush live a couple of times between then and last night, but last night was wholly different. Perhaps it was being there with my son. For those who know me and who read my blog, you know I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but what I appreciate about these guys from Canada, aside from their musicianship, is that their lyrics mean something; they don't sing about sex and drugs, but about time, freedom, growing up, belief, the struggle to remain human in an increasingly digital world without denying reality, etc.

As we were driving home, I was thinking about the connection between my love for Rush's music and my affinity for Orwell, Camus, Giussani, et. al., due to what they all have in common, which is a lot. During Freewill, when Geddy sang "sailing into destiny," I imagined them flashing on the large video screen behind and above the stage (Rush are great innovators and were probably the first band to do this way back in 1983 and probably before that. I will always remember the Red Barchetta video from that show, clips of which they have incorporated into their new video for this song) the picture of Don Giussani below. It dawned on me that not only can I be born once I am old, but how necessary it is to be reborn. Last night's concert way (I don't want to exaggerate, but neither do I want to denigrate), was a kind of rebirth, not to innocence exactly, but hearing this music that is part of the soundtrack of my life in a new way and accompanying Tim as he experienced this, thus make last night a true traditio, namely the handing on of something valuable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of Holy Week

Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3.13-14; John 12:1-11 Being nine months to the day before Christmas, normally today we would mark the...