Sunday, August 1, 2010

"I want to be a man of the Church."

"I want to be a man of the Church. I do not want to be called by the name of some founder of a heresy. But in the name of Christ, and to bear that name which is blessed on earth. It is my desire, in deed as in spirit, both to be and to be called a Christian.

Origen

"If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called presbyter [for me διάκονος] and seem to preach the word of God, if I do something against the discipline of the Church and the rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, the Church, then may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and throw me away"- Origen.

This quote by the great Origen is the epigraph to Hans Urs Von Balthasar's Origenes: Geist und Feuer, or, Origen: Spirit and Fire .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...