Thursday, July 21, 2011

"When you haven't got a prayer"

We interrupt our series of rock songs about rockin' to put up something that is just too moving not to post: A live recording of Tom Jones covering Marc Cohn's awesome song Walking in Memphis live. This is surely a tribute to a dear friend. Man, you can feel "it" in Tom's version of this song. I am posting the traditio a day early because tomorrow is a solemnity in my neck of the woods: St. Mary Magdalene.


Now Muriel, plays piano
Every Friday at the Hollywood
And they brought me down to see her
And they asked me if I would

To do a little number
And I sang with all my might
She said, "Tell me are you a Christian child?"
And I said, "Ma'am, I am tonight"

Powerful lyrics by a Jewish songwriter!

Tom record it, please!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...