Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An observation

I have observed more than once that without truth there can be no love. Sadly, there can be truth without love. We read in the fourth chapter of Ephesians it is by "speaking the truth in love" that "we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ (Eph. 4:15 ESV). I think the Incarnation is the best example of the relationship between truth and love.

I'm not sure why, but this struck me with some force this evening. I know sometimes I am guilty of speaking the truth without love. In trying to keep this bounded by God's word, speaking the truth, even in love, is often very difficult, at times even excruciating, just as knowing when and how to do so is something for which we must rely on the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...